There are many types of insurance for your home and car and selecting the right type can be difficult. A fairly new product line now being offered is green insurance, which takes into account sustainable features in a home to offer a discount for insurance or provides coverage for rebuilding green in the case of a claim. Here are nine important factors making green insurance a great option for you:
- It's cheaper! You can get a discount of 5-10% not just on home insurance, but on car insurance as well. That $1,500 a year for your teenage son just got a little less painful. And you don't even need to drive a hybrid to get these discounts - just owning a green home is enough for some insurance companies to offer a discount on home AND car insurance.
- It rewards you for something you are doing already. If you bought a green home, why wouldn't you take advantage of a discount available on the market?
- Your current insurance provider probably has an option already available for you. Travelers Insurance, Liberty Mutual, Fireman's Fund, Lexington and many more offer insurance products for green-minded consumers.
- You can get insurance for your bicycle. Bicycle insurance - how much greener can you get?
- This isn't just a gift from an insurance company. State regulatory boards require that there is less risk and fewer claims for discounts, which means that you aren't just being suckered into some cross-selling promotion by a company.
- Do you drive a hybrid car? What about an electric car? Green car insurance (not to mention discounts on interest rates at your local credit union) is becoming increasingly common.
- Not green but want to be? If you have a home without green features but would like to build green in the future, you can get an insurance policy rider that will rebuild your home to green standards if there is an accident. For instance, if you have an older refrigerator and you have a big kitchen fire, you can replace the fridge with an ENERGY STAR model instead of a lower performance one.
- Care about your carbon footprint? Some insurance companies will reward you for reduced emissions by giving extra discounts.
- Save money, feel better about your financial choices and help save the earth all at once!
James Gray writes about green insurance at GreenInsuranceReviews.com, which provides comparisons of green insurance products for homes, cars and bicycles for consumers looking to save money and go green.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=James_D_Gray
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6074305